Monday, February 26, 2007

Bored at 4:55 AM

Sitting here at the above noted time. I guess I can watch Scrubs or Curb on our "multi-media" in the library but I get paged so frequently. But is sounds better than writing this blog. Fortunately nothing too exciting aside from the anxious Russian who "desats" (breathes fast with her oxygen levels dropping to dangerous levels) with her nightly anxiety attacks, and the dying black man who can't breathe and coughs up blood. We decide to give her, anti-anxiety meds, and to him some "nebulizers" to help him breathe and some pain meds. Technically speaking they are both on their way out. You see the the goal of night float is to prevent them from dying on your shift. As the adage goes "Our job is not to save lives but rather to prolong death". Till the next journey
G'night

4 comments:

Notsofrummie said...

can you ask the black man for my car radio back before he goes up to heaven/hell (tba) ..

residency year sucks said...

I apologize for the above comment, I have not yet learnt how to erase offensive comments.

Coffee Addict said...

thank god my night shifts are over. were you complaining about only dating older women? my god, i don't even have a freaking social life anymore. the closest physical contact i have with a human = with my patients. *shudder* god help me. perhaps i've been working too many nights.

Anonymous said...

This is actually quite shocking. I never knew medical staff were so indifferent to the death of people. "Oh, just make sure he doesn't die on my shift"